Fiber Rich Foods For Cancer Patients
Fiber, which is also known as roughage, is that part of plant-based food (grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and beans) that the body can’t break down. It passes through the digestive system undigested, keeping your digestive system clean and healthy, easing bowel movements, which in turn flushes cholesterol and harmful carcinogens out of your body.
“A high-fiber may help reduce your overall calorie intake and help you maintain a healthy weight, which is vital in reducing cancer risk.” -Erma Levy, who is a very famous research dietician and has rightly said the above sentence.
Benefits of Fiber Food
I would recommend taking high fiber food during cancer care because, these provide lot of benefits like
- Feeling full longer
- Weight control
- Lower cholesterol
- Stabilized blood sugar levels
- Bowel management
Recommended Fiber Rich Foods
Food items that are rich in fiber and also are good in taste are a blessing. A few of them that should be consumed during your cancer treatment that I have observed having a positive impact on the body are:
- Oatmeal– it helps in regulating your bowels because of its beta glucan, a type of soluble fibre that feeds the good bacteria in your gut. Oatmeal’s neutral flavour and creamy texture are especially advantageous if you are experiencing common chemo side effects like dry mouth or mouth sores.
- Avocado– it is loaded with fiber, with 3.5 ounces packing 27% of the daily value. Its fiber bulks up your stool and feeds the friendly bacteria in your gut. You can smash and spread them on toast or slice them to top a bowl of grains, beans or soup.
- Nuts and seeds– it contains a high amount of fiber, nutrients and phytochemicals that have been shown to offer cancer-protective actions. Incorporating it in your diet helps prevent cancer to a great extent as well. And if you actively have cancer, it can also reduce the risk of recurrence.
- Peas- eating green peas regularly may reduce the risk of cancer, mostly due to peas’ antioxidant content and their ability to reduce inflammation in the body. Green peas also contain saponins, plant compounds known for having anti-cancer effects.
- Oranges- they are a great source of vitamin C, which can help strengthen your immune function, reduce cancer cell growth, and increase iron absorption. Their citrusy flavour and freshness is only an added advantage.
- Brussel sprouts– they may help restrict tumor growth by blocking aggressive enzymes known to advance cancer growth. The enzymes weaken the genes that suppress tumors and keep them from spreading.
Having a good diet for any person is extremely important. If you have one from the start it can help you avoid diseases like cancer. However, if you do have cancer, then it is never too late to start taking care of your health and diet. As a doctor, I have seen many patients recover through a culmination of proper treatment and healthy food. I would urge everyone to keep this in mind.