Cancer in children is called Paediatric Cancer, this can occur anywhere in the body, like blood and lymphatic systems, brain and spinal cord (central nervous system; CNS), kidneys, and other organs and tissues. Childhood cancer is a common term that is used to explain different types of cancer types and also non-cancerous types which are found in children. The good news is that all childhood cancers are treatable and most are curable.
Exposure to High Levels of Ionizing Radiation
● Leukemia -It is among one-third of all childhood cancers which is found in the blood and bone marrow.
● Brain and Spinal Cord Tumors – They commonly occur in the lower parts of the brain like the cerebellum or brain stem.
● Lymphomas -Swollen lymph nodes under the neck and armpit are among the common symptoms.
● Wilms tumor – usually starts in one or both kidneys, causing swelling or lump in the abdomen.
● Neuroblastoma – This type of cancer mostly develops in infants and young children.
● Bone Cancers – Most common types of bone cancers are Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
Surgery – The tumor is removed by an operation
Chemotherapy – To stop the growth of cancer cells medical drugs are given.
Radiotherapy – High energy rays are used to destroy the cancer cells in one particular area of the body, it is an invisible treatment.
Bone Marrow Transplantation – It is a medical procedure done to replace the damaged bone marrow with healthy bone marrow cells